This was a very delicious recipe I found. Unlike the others, this one wasn’t modified much. You can find the original recipe here. Here’s the recipe, along with our adjustments (this one takes about an hour, and it’s pretty much all active cooking time). Enjoy!
Here are the ingredients:
- 8 ounces asparagus (about 10 stalks), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas (about a healthy handful), trimmed and cut in half
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (to be used at different times)
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 small bell pepper, diced or sliced, any color (we used green)
- 4 3/4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (if you live in SoCal, check out Wiens for some great wines- we used their White Crowded for this)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt-free seasoning
- Fill a large sauce pan about 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Put asparagus and peas in water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, squash and bell pepper and saute for about 7 minutes, or until browned and tender. Season vegetables with no-salt seasoning while cooking.
- Add vegetable broth to a medium sauce pan and warm over medium heat (but don’t bring it to a boil). Keep it warm.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they get tender. Stir in rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reserve 1/4 cup broth for the end. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (20-25 minutes total). About halfway through cooking rice, add the 2 cloves of minced garlic. Stir in asparagus, peas, zucchini, squash and bell pepper ; cook 1 minute more or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 cup of broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, chives and grated cheese.
- Eat. Enjoy.